Sunday 20 May 2018

OUGD502 - End of Module Evaluation


OUGD502

End of Module Evaluation

Personal and Professional practice has helped me gain contacts and learn how to network with creatives in the industry it has also given me experience at public speaking and pitching. Through three studio briefs we explored different areas essential to being a practicing professional.
 I felt Studio Brief 1, the creative report, was by far the most helpful and substantial brief. It forced me out of my comfort zone and approach designers I would not have spoken to if left to my own devices. I think it is important that students do this as networking is essential. It has helped me talk to and gain knowledge from creative professionals that I have looked up to for years and has given me experience at conducting interviews. I am happy with my outcome and the publication I have produced as a result of this brief. However, would have liked more advice on how to continue the relations we have made with industry professionals.
Studio Brief 2 was the brief I found the most difficult. Mainly because I found it to be uninspiring. Wayfinding is something I tried in first year and didn’t really enjoy. I don’t find value in it and I don’t think it’s an area of design I will enter into as a professional. However, I understand that I will not get to pick and choose briefs, especially if I am working at a large firm. I found the experience of working in a team beneficial. I built on my listening and communication skills and pushed myself by presenting in front of an audience.
Studio Brief 3 touched on the more personal side of Personal and Professional Practice. It was interesting to look back on last year’s presentation and see how I have progressed. I find it helpful to look ahead and try to set long term and short term goals. This brief also gave experience of public speaking, something that I still find difficult but I can see improvements.
Overall I have found this module helpful as It has increased my confidence in public speaking and creating engaging presentations. I appreciated being made to contact working professionals and gain knowledge through their personal experience. I didn’t see the benefit of creating a wayfinding system, I assumed it would be for the pitching section although only select members of each group were involved in this process. I did, however, find working as part of a team a valuable experience. I have found networking using LinkedIn particularly helpful and I have realised the importance of an online presence. However, I think spending time collating a successful CV and self-branding much more useful and practical than two briefs that were resolved using presentations.




No comments:

Post a Comment