Sunday 12 March 2017

OUGD402 - Studio Brief 2 - Self Branding


OUGD402


Studio Brief 2 - Self Branding


The presentation show cased my personal brand.

There are 2 key pieces of information that help communicate the final outcome of my design. The first is that I am a triplet, I tried to show this by using triangles within my design. The second is that I am a swimmer, this is something I enjoy and spend a lot of time doing so I wanted to include in my brand.

I wanted my brand to be a clear representation of myself and my interest so I can draw the attention of people I want to work with.



Initial thoughts and Ideas:
  • clean design, uses negative space
  • shows aspects of my personality 
  • communicates love for swimming
  • simple but friendly
  • illustratie
  • energetic but not garish or overpowering
  • natural colour scheme
  • appreciation for the outdoors, shown in colour scheme
Brainstorm Research:
  • subtle details 
  • illustrative title
  • letterpress style title/ hand written
  • wave over top of name
  • everything in three's (triplet)
  • mailers
  • message in a bottle - sea themed
  • letters over mail
  • swim cap mailers
  • surf wax branding (Mr Zogs sex wax)
  • logo based on chemical formula for water (H2O)
inspiration from the se;f branding of Melanie Daveid and Gareth Strange (Strangelove) and the work of Joshua Noom.

Ideas:
  • logo based on water
  • name inside of raindrop, illustrated or only using typography. May only work with first name or initials
  • name on a wave
  • name partially blocked out because of a wave shape at the foot of the letters
  • name obscured with water over the top of it.
  • rain drops act as magnifiers
  • name causes ripples
  • name on the bottom of a swimming poll - distorted by the water - if looking from above. could become a filter throughout the whole design
  • mailers
  • message in a bottle
  • water guns
  • swim hat
I developed 2 ideas, with the intention of picking the strongest design outcome.
I developed the water droplet typography idea and the distorted water idea.

Water droplet typography:

Distorted Water:


The Distorted type is much more interesting. This is the design I used for my branding. 

I continued the water theme throughout by putting imagery of water into triangles.



This would work as a logo with interchanging textures. 

Pay off and description:

Pay off 1:
Lorna Milligan 
Graphic Designer

A competitive creative passionate about colour, illustration and swimming.

Pay off 2:
Lorna Milligan
Graphic Designer & Illustrator

'Just because you think you can use Photoshop, Doesn't mean you should'


I am still undecided what Pay off I want to carry forward. The first one is more professional but I like the wit of the second one, although, I don't want to come across as obnoxious. 


Logo

The logo I designed uses the triangle as well as the type. The triangle will change with different imagery as previously discussed. However, I think the triangle looks a bit awkward because to is so sharp in comparison to the type. I might also have the triangle distorted by water but this might look strange as it will loose some of its geometric characteristics. 


Fonts used

Aviner (roman) in Caps. Kerning: 300 - title font
Kohinoor Devanagari (Light). Kerning: 100 - body text


Colours




Imagery 



Application






No comments:

Post a Comment