Thursday 30 March 2017

OUGD402 - Studio Brief 3 - Design Strategy Presentation


OUGD402

PPP - Studio Brief 3 - Design Strategy Presentation

This was a 7 minute presentation in front of a small group.

I began my presentation by explaining my experience of university so far. I talked about moving away from home, joining a new swim team and meeting new friends.

I explained how I have learnt to use adobe, almost from scratch and how things that I didn't consider before, like grid systems, have really improved my work. I also learnt to do book binding which I enjoyed as It adds a professional touch to final products.

I talked about what I want to learn in the future, this included surface pattern design, 3D design and packaging design. As well as the mistakes that I have made: Leaving design boards till the last minute, using print slots to motivate and get work done and don't leave university to do work as there are too many distractions.

I talked about my strengths and how I will develop them (illustration) and my weaknesses and how I will adress them (mock-ups, prioritising)

Barcelona was something I really enjoyed and learnt a lot from, especially how professionals run their studios and business. another thing I enjoy is visiting professionals as I always leave their talks more motivated. Finally I enjoy lectures and learning about past movements as it informs my work.

I have disliked self branding (although I enjoyed the design side) as I found it really difficult to pin point what kind of designer I want to be. I have also disliked managing my time as it is something I really struggle with but will continue to work on. Like everyone else, I also dislike deadlines as they are stressful.

My future ambitions include working for someone else, freelancing and setting up my own collective. I want to try all of these and see which method of working I prefer. Currently I would also like to start taking on freelance work to get more experience and broaden my portfolio. I would also like to start bringing outside interests into my work such as physics, architecture and engineering. My personal aims for the future are to develop my individual style and do a triathlon.

Feedback from my presentation:
from the feedback I received it is clear my confidence has improved since the last presentation. My tutors found my interest in physics interesting and encouraged my to include this in my work. They also gave me artists and photographers to look at which also incorporate science into their work, including Luke Evens and his photography series called XERO. They also thought I should be more confident about the things I am interested in outside of university such as triathlons as it shows I have a different mind set. I should also keep my presentation s positive as possible.

Notes for presentation:






No comments:

Post a Comment